Experienced Legal Counsel serving Business, Families and Individuals
817-877-3933 | 432-561-5379

Fort Worth and Odessa/Midland Estate Law Issues Involving Unmarried Couples

Fort Worth Estate Law Attorney

You may believe that you have a strong and unbreakable bond with your partner, and we certainly hope that you do. Over time though, attitudes can change. If you are in a committed relationship with another person, you should consider adopting measures that can protect your property rights and address issues involving your health care and finances. A small amount of money paid in legal fees could provide you with great benefits down the road.

At The Perry Law Firm, we provide estate law advice, services and representation to unmarried people in committed relationships. We can:

  • Draft a cohabitation agreement
  • Create a durable financial power of attorney
  • Create a medical power of attorney or advanced directive to physicians
  • Draft a will
  • Create an estate plan
  • Provide legal advice about naming your partner as a beneficiary on pensions, IRAs and life insurance
  • Provide advice regarding deeds and the purchase of property
  • Provide other estate law advice and services of value to unmarried persons

Contact our firm to schedule a consultation with a lawyer.

Estate Law

A cohabitation agreement can provide a legal foundation for your relationship by defining the rights and responsibilities of each partner. This document and others, such as a will and medical power of attorney, can give you and your partner peace of mind. Nancy Perry can draft the documents you need for reasonable and affordable fees.

Without granting your partner a medical power of attorney, your partner will not be able to talk with your doctor even if you are incapacitated.

The Perry Law Firm can also address family law issues involving unmarried couples.

Real Estate

If you are not married to the owner of a house and your name is not on the deed, you have no ownership rights regarding the house. This is true even if you have been contributing your funds to make mortgage payments or pay for utilities, property taxes or home improvements. There are several ways a homeowner can provide for his or her partner, including putting the partner’s name on the deed, creating a life estate or taking out a life insurance policy naming the partner as the beneficiary. Nancy Perry can review your situation and recommend the right solution for you.

Contact Our Firm

For practical solutions for estate law issues involving unmarried couples, look to The Perry Law Firm in Fort Worth, Texas. Contact us at 817-877-3933 for a consultation today.